Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 Burnley 0

Last updated : 17 August 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Denis Irwin's first goal for Wolves helped to send 10-man Burnley crashing to their 11th successive defeat at the hands of the Molineux side.

Irwin, who joined Wolves as a free agent after leaving Manchester United earlier this summer, sealed the success with a stunning free-kick at the start of the second-half with winger Kevin Cooper grabbing the third after 87 minutes.

Wolves had taken a first minute lead through Nathan Blake and things did not get any better for Burnley who have lost their opening two games of the season.

They had to play for 83 minutes of the game with 10 men after former Wolves midfielder Paul Cook was sent off for a foul.

Burnley were caught napping after just 86 second when Blake capitalised on a slip-up by goalkeeper Nik Michopoulos.

The Greek 'keeper was unable to hold a fierce 25 yard drive from Colin Cameron and Blake took full advantage to fire the loose ball into the roof of the net from six yards.

Burnley's problems then went from bad to worse when Cook saw red following a rash challenge on the Wolves midfielder, Alex Rae.

Wolves were forced to readjust themselves 60 seconds later with Cameron being forced off by an ankle injury that allowed former England skipper Paul Ince to make his debut.

But Wolves were dominant in terms of possession and they wasted a golden chance to increase their lead from the penalty spot after 37 minutes when Steve Davis handled a shot from Kenny Miller.

Scottish international Miller, who had not scored since breaking his collarbone last September, took the penalty himself only to see Michopoulos beat it away with his left hand.

Fortunately for Miller his blushes were spared by Irwin four minutes after the re-start.

A typically rampaging run by Ince was brought to an end on the edge of the area by Davis.

From the resulting free-kick, Irwin drilled his shot past Michopoulos - the ball crashing into the net off the underside of the bar.

Wolves added a more realistic look to the scoreline after 87 minutes when second-half substitute Cooper raced on to a pass from fellow sub, Dean Sturridge, before beating Michopoulos from an acute angle