Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Wimbledon 1

Last updated : 18 January 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Damien Francis hit Wolves bid to kick-start their promotion push as Wimbledon bounced back to secure a share of the spoils at Molineux.

Kenny Miller's first goal in ten games looked set to secure Wolves only their second win in seven matches.

But Francis pounced with his fourth goal of the season, and his second in two games, in the opening minute of the second half to earn Wimbledon a point.

Disappointed Wolves' boss Dave Jones, who has seen his side collect only six points from the last 21, said: "One lapse of concentration cost us.

"The players ran themselves into the ground and we had enough chances to have won the game.

"We tried to attack all of the time, but people have got to get themselves on the end of crosses.

"I can't fault the players for their effort and it is very frustrating because we played some very good football." Jones was also left fuming by the decision of referee Steve Tomlin to disallow Paul Butler's 82nd minute 'goal' for a push on Wimbledon's man of the match, goalkeeper Kelvin Davis.

In contrast to Jones, Wimbledon boss Stuart Murdoch was delighted with his side's battling display and he said: "It was a very good result. We would have settled for 1-1 before the game because we only had 16 players available.

"We said at half-time that we had not worked the 'keeper enough and the first thing we did in the second-half was to score.

"The players were magnificent and they have been like that all season.

"We can be proud of every one of the players. We have only lost twice in 16 games and that breeds confidence.

"We have just had four successive draws and if we could get a few wins now we could shoot right up the League." Wimbledon initially carried the biggest threat inside the opening two minutes when Alex Tapp fired a cross from Patrick Agyemang just wide when he had only goalkeeper Matt Murray to beat.

But it proved to be a rare threat from Wimbledon and Wolves could have broken the deadlock after 14 minutes but for the heroics of Davis.

Despite dominating possession, Wolves had to wait until the stroke of half time to finally make their pressure tell.

Colin Cameron initially saw his shot blocked before the loose ball found its way to Mark Kennedy on the left wing.

His cross was cleverly glanced over Davis with a deft backward header by £3million record signing Miller from 10 yards.

Miller's goal looked set to signal Wolves cruising to their third successive win.

But Wimbledon were revived by a half-time pep talk from Murdoch and stunned Wolves by forcing their way back on to level terms just 45 seconds into the second period.

Wolves failed to deal with a right-wing centre from Mikele Leigertwood and Francis silenced Molineux by rifling home a volley past the flat-footed Murray from eight yards.

Wimbledon should only have been on level terms for two minutes as Miller failed to connect with a cross from Ndah just two yards from goal.

Davis then came to Wimbledon's rescue again after 62 minutes, pushing a fierce drive from Colin Cameron over the bar to secure their point.