Burnley 2-0 Wolverhampton- Report

Last updated : 03 November 2012 By DSG

Dyche starts with a win

Sean Dyche's reign as Burnley manager got off to a fine start as a goal in each half deservedly saw off a lacklustre Wolves side 2-0.

Martin Paterson gave the Clarets an 18th-minute lead and Dean Marney should have doubled the hosts' advantage before half-time.

Charlie Austin was left unattended to head his 19th goal of an already phenomenal season as Wolves' defence - haphazardly marshalled by their beleaguered captain Roger Johnson - threatened to unravel.

Bakary Sako rattled the post from distance for Stale Solbakken's side but they were unable to rally effectively.

A second successive home clean sheet offers further encouragement for Dyche as he begins his efforts to cure Burnley's defensive woes this term.

Wolves, meanwhile, drop to ninth in the npower Championship table, one point above their opponents who move to 13th.

Ross Wallace and Ben Mee returned to the Burnley line-up following injury and suspension respectively, while Canada international David Edgar was handed a first start for almost a month - taking on an unfamiliar midfield role in place of Chris McCann.

Wolves were unchanged from last weekend's 1-1 home draw against Charlton.

In the fifth minute Burnley centre-back Michael Duff swept the ball forward and, after some neat interplay, Ross Wallace fizzed a left-footed effort over from the edge of the box.

Wallace was relieved to see a yellow card from referee Mark Haywood moments later having clipped the heels of Kevin Doyle as the Wolves striker broke clear.

Some more patient passing at the back from the hosts was rewarded when they took an the lead.

Left-back Mee spotted the opening, arching a precise ball around the back of the Wolves back four for Paterson to dart into the area and slot coolly below Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme.

Marney should have doubled Burnley's advantage as half-time approached. Johnson ceded possession to the former Hull midfielder, who drove straight at Ikeme when squaring to either Paterson or Austin appeared to be the better option.

Within a minute of that let-off, Wolves almost levelled when Sako dragged a shot across the face of goal and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake almost stole in with the vital touch.

Austin collected Brian Stock's pass and stormed into the box before firing over the angle of post and bar two minutes into the second period.

The former Swindon man's goal duly arrived in the 53rd minute as he won a corner and was unmarked to head home Wallace's delivery.

Johnson was enduring a torrid afternoon by this stage and was perhaps fortunate to escape with a booking when he appeared to catch Austin with an elbow.

Sako almost dragged his side back into the match when he drove forward and slammed a shot against the upright. Ebanks-Blake and Doyle failed to pick up the scraps.

Another seemingly inevitable lapse from Johnson let in Austin to seal the points after the hour but Ikeme came out on top.

Burnley's momentum was interrupted in worrying fashion when Wallace went down following an aerial challenge with Jermaine Pennant, received oxygen on the pitch and left on a stretcher to be replaced by Danny Ings.

Wolves failed to force the issue as the clock ran down and Clarets substitute Sam Vokes almost increased the misery for his former club in stoppage time.

Source: DSG

Source: DSG