Preston 0-0 Wolverhampton- Report

Last updated : 20 November 2016 By DSG

Preston fail to put away chances as Wolves hold on for a point

Paul Lambert's first game in charge of Wolves ended in a 0-0 draw against Preston at Deepdale.

After a lifeless first half, Preston had the better of the chances in the second, with Simon Makienok and Jordan Hugill passing up great opportunities to take all three points for the hosts.

It is a year ago this weekend since Lambert took charge of his first game as Blackburn manager, a 2-1 win at Deepdale, but there was no such luck this time around.

The draw means Preston have lost just one of their last nine league games, while Wolves picked up just their third point in eight games.

It took 25 minutes for any action of note, but Preston began to take charge of the contest and Callum Robinson curled an effort from 20 yards which was comfortably held by ex-Lilywhites keeper Andy Lonergan.

The hosts started the second half on the front foot, first forcing a corner which was cleared by the first man, before Aiden McGeady chipped a lovely ball to the far post for Hugill, but the striker wasted the chance by trying to head back across goal rather than on target.

And Preston came close again in the 53rd minute, as Robinson's cross from the left was only cleared as far as Paul Gallagher, who fired a powerful volley inches over the bar from 15 yards.

Wolves had their first effort on goal after 57 minutes, when George Saville laid the ball back to Matt Doherty whose low right-footed strike from the edge of the area was just wide of Chris Maxwell's near post.

Preston had another half chance after 72 minutes

McGeady delivered a whipped free-kick from the right-hand edge of the area, which was met by Hugill at the far post but, backpedalling, the striker could not direct the ball on target.

And Simon Grayson's side should have taken the lead four minutes later, when Alex Baptiste delivered a pinpoint cross from the right wing, which found substitute Makienok unmarked, but he headed over from six yards.

Preston had shouts for a penalty waved away in the 79th minute, as Daniel Johnson burst into the area and went down under contact from Kortney Hause.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson then tried an innovative effort after 82 minutes

The forward teed himself up for an ambitious overhead kick from the edge of the area, which went comfortably over the bar.

Lambert's side had their first effort on target in the 87th minute, as substitutes Ivan Cavaleiro and Nouha Dicko combined, with the latter flicking a header from six yards straight at Maxwell.

In added time, Hugill was through one-on-one for Preston but lifted the ball over the bar.

Source : DSG

Source: DSG