Wolves send Shearer & Co Packing!

Last updated : 06 January 2003 By Steve Hermon

It is a result that nobody before the game believed could happen but just in case you didn't know or just want to read it again...


It was end-to-end stuff and a fantastic game. Wolves showed the heart and desire, which has been missing in recent performances and the crowd were electric throughout.

I watched the game just inside the players tunnel and none of us could believe it when Paul Ince gave Wolves the lead. I said in the WolvesMAD Preview that he would be an important factor and he proved he was with a brilliant finish past a bewildered Given.

We were beating Newcastle 1-0 and with only six minutes on the clock!

The excitement didn't end there though, as Mark Kennedy finished off a top quality move, started by Wolves keeper Matt Murray. He threw the ball past the halfway line to Newton who curled an excellent ball round two Newcastle defenders to put Cameron through. He controlled it brilliantly - I must admit that I said he should be dropped in place of Rae but he proved me wrong and played well - he then played the ball across the box and Kennedy was there to slot home with a great left-footed finish.

Despite going 2-0 up, I wasn't dreaming of the fourth round because I always knew that Newcastle could make a comeback and sure enough they did.

Shearer's blocked shot fell, some would say luckily to Jenas, although he did react well and he scored his first goal for Newcastle to pull one back.

Then came the first of many controversial talking points, as Craig Bellamy (Insert expletives here) fell down in the box after the slightest of tugs in the box from Lescott. I might have accepted it if Bellamy had the ball at his feet but the ball was running away from him and Naylor actually cleared it up field at that time.

Shearer had no problem putting the penalty away with a nice finish in to the top left hand corner past Murray.

So, Wolves, strange to say, disappointingly went in at half-time drawing 2-2.

We came back out much the same though, as we fought and battled with the world-class stars in black and white. We were also fighting against the referee who seemed to want the Magpies to go through. He made some awful decisions, but for once we didn't let that effect us.

The second half was even more end-to-end than the first but only one goal was scored this time round. Kennedy again involved as he crossed to Shaun Newton who nodded the ball down to Ndah who knocked the ball in from close range and Molineux went crazy!!!

Wolves have a few scares though as Shearer almost scored one of his trademark free kicks. Luckily Lescott's body blocked the effort on the line and then he made another brilliant clearance from the rebound.

It was then Lee Naylor's turn to clear off the line as Newcastle, now with four up front in Shearer, Bellamy, Ameobi and Lua Lua, broke forward. Bellamy past across goal for Lua Lua, who had an open goal from a tight angle. He managed to scoop it towards goal but Naylor made up ground and cleared. Sky showed how close it was to going in with a camera on the goal line. Some of the ball looked over the line, but it was in conclusive as to whether the whole ball was. But who cares?!

Matt Murray, who looked nervous in periods of the game, as he failed to collect many balls at the first attempt, shrugged all those incidents off as he made an excellent save when Bellamy was put through. 'England's No. 1' blocked the Welshman's shot with his big frame and kept Wolves in the lead.

Despite those efforts from Newcastle, Wolves still had their chances. Newton squandered an excellent chance when Miller put him through. The former Charlton man seemed to be caught in two minds as, what seemed to be a shot flashed across the six-yard box.

Kenny Miller actually put the ball in the net with a rasping finish, but it was disallowed for a push, which I believe was a bit harsh.

Wolves were hanging on nervously and the nerves piled on even more when the Fourth Official displayed four minutes of added time on his board!!

It was a very intense last few minutes, although Kevin Cooper, who replaced Newton, could have clamed those nerves and sealed the game, but with a clear view of goal he shot straight at Given.

That wasn't to matter though, as after what seemed like an age, the ref finally blew the whistle to signal full-time and Wolves were threw to the Fourth Round of threw to Fourth Round of the FA Cup!!!

Full Time: Wolves 3-2 Newcastle United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the best performance I have seen at Molineux for a long time, everybody put in 110% effort and it proves that if we try WE CAN GET PROMOTED!!

Not wanting to moan after such a great victory but we can't just put in performances against big teams when we are on TV!! We must scrap against the smaller teams as well. It may not be pretty but you have to do it to get out of this division.

If we do go up, I think we would stay up. As I said, we perform against the big teams and there are no small teams in the Premiership (excluding Sandwell Town) so WE MUST BUILD ON THIS!!!!

Also, Well done to Jonesy. Your job is safe for at least another month. But we must take this performance to our League games, starting with the game at local rivals Walsall next week!!

C'MON WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!